4.20.2011

Uni Beauty

Willow Shields
This is Willow Shields who has been cast as Primrose Everdeen in the Hunger Games. You might notice, as I did, that she sports a facial feature that is culturally taboo.

Ms. Shields has a unibrow.

She's like a little blond Frida Kahlo, and I like it.  She's unapologetic. And her brow frames her big brown eyes, illustrates the little freckles on her cheeks, and makes her unique and memorable.

Now, my very first thought upon seeing this picture of her was, "Can't they just wax her!?" But then, shortly after, I thought...why? She's pretty just as she is. And she's a kid. She shouldn't have to worry about that nonsense. Yes, let's give her a complex. I hope she appears in The Hunger Games with her brow intact.



And I've compiled some photos of other people who have unique, "correctable" features, and who wear them unapologetically and beautifully. 

For your viewing pleasure.

Stacy London
Stacy London is a co-host of TLC's What Not To Wear. She's a style expert. On the show, she's great because she's completely honest with the guests, but doesn't forget that how you present yourself is a very personal thing. She treats them with compassion, honesty, and a sense of humor.

She has a streak of gray hair down the right side of her face, something she has had for many years. It doesn't diminish her (or her hair's) beauty. Stacy has even, recently, been seen in ads for Pantene, showcasing her hair itself.

She is not beautiful despite her gray hair, she's beautiful because of it.





Kate Bosworth

Kate Bosworth has two different colored eyes. It's odd to look at at first. Human eyes are fickle things, and are subject to many an optical illusion. When a person has two different colored eyes, they look almost as if they have two different expressions at the same time. Since we take many social cues from eye contact, trying to connect to someone with different colored eyes can be difficult.

But this photo illustrates their exotic beauty. Her skin, hair, and lips are almost all the same color. The photo is very close up, forcing you to focus on her face and her face alone. You have to accept her gaze. You cannot look away. First, you are slightly disturbed, then, as you appreciate the unique beauty of these eyes, you realize how lucky she is to have such a distinguishing feature.



Keira Knightley
This is Keira Knightley. You probably know her from Pirates of the Carribean, Bend it Like Beckham, Atonement, Domino, or King Arthur. There is something about her that deviates from standard "hollywood beauty."

The girl has tiny boobs.

In Pirates of the Carribean, they gave the impression of cleavage with airbrushed makeup. But in fashion shots like this, you can see that her small breasts are not hidden or enhanced. You see her as she is.



(I have to admit that I included Keira because I have quite the opposite problem, and I'm terribly jealous.)

I have only women on here because I think that they are expected to adhere to as stricter "code" of beauty. But I'm interested in finding more uniquely beautiful people--men and women--...people who shock you at first, but then, on second look, you find beautiful. If you have any, leave them in the comments or check me out on twitter!

"Hungry fingers devour me, wanting to feel my flesh. As a stricken man clutches my face between his hands, I send a silent thank-you to Dalton for suggesting I wash off the makeup. How ridiculous, how perverse I would feel presenting that painted Capitol mask to these people. The damage, the fatigue, the imperfections. That's how they recognize me, why I belong to them." -Katniss in the rebel's hospital in Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment